Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Infamous Chaffing Incident

Surprise Surprise. You learn things the further you run.  
 Examples:
  1. When your shorts ride up, you may get chaffing.
  2. Body Glide is not a miracle substance, and may not keep this from happening.
  3. After a few miles in pain, you may decide that instead of the intended 12 miles, 8 miles is "good enough". 
  4. Chaffing hurts and makes you walk funny. 
 It dawned a beautiful, sunny, and warm day. I was excited. 12 miles! I did 11, so I had no doubt that I could do it. I ate normally, not trying anything new this time. We headed out. Around mile 2 my thighs started stinging a little.  I just kept pulling my shorts down every time they rode up.
Running through the "Center of the Universe"
About mile 4 I started complaining about it. I still was thinking I could make the full 12. At mile 5 I started sucking down my PowerAde Strawberry Banana gel. It didn't taste as good as the vanilla bean, but I wasn't really thinking about it anyway. I was thinking about the pain in my thighs. We got to mile 7.5, and there was the bridge to take me back to the car. There was no way I was going to complete a full 12. I was already running funny, trying to keep my ginormous thighs from touching. Kind of like riding an invisible horse. I told the group that I was heading back to the car. I made sure I knew how to get there, and started to finish just enough to get me to my car.

Running and taking pics of myself. I'm multi-talented!!!

On my solo run

The infamous chaffing incident.
Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. I stretched and went home. Other than the stupid chaffing, I feel pretty good. I'm not even sore! I bought some bike shorts right after the failure. I'm sure all of the people at Academy loved me trying on clothes while I was all sweaty. To their credit though, nobody said anything to me. Hoping that I can pick up some long miles next Saturday.  I had some low moments yesterday, but I will keep plugging along. I think I will confidently call myself a runner now. I may not be the fastest, but by golly, I'm giving it my all!!!     
  

3 comments:

  1. Girl, you're doing AWESOME!!! We've all had some dreaded chaffing before, but lesson learned and move forward. That looks pretty darn raw - you poor thing!! UGH - know how ya feel. Hang in there - might try some diaper rash cream on it in the meantime.
    --Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, It is a little raw. I have some actual chaffing cream, and it really doesn't hurt too much if I keep it covered with clothes. Thanks Laurie! I'll be rocking my new bike shorts next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somebody once handed me a tube of Boudreaux's Baby Butt Paste and I used it quite successfully until I got my compression shorts. Sorry you had to experiencing the chaffing of your hide. You are doing great and I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!