Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St Patty's Day! 11 miles to celebrate!!

7 miles into the 11
I know it has been a while since I have written. Sorry about that. After turning my ankle I had to stay off it for a bit. Then I ended up with strep throat. And this time I can't even blame it on my kids. I am the only one who caught it. I had the shot, and was still sick for 5 days. Ugh. So, that is where I have been and what I have been up to. Nothing so exciting that everyone would want endless details on anyway.

Finally today I was back at it! I got up at 5:45. I drank (ate/drank??) a Vespa (Gel stuff that is suppose to make your body utilize your personal fat stores for energy). Never doing that again. Mistake #1. Tasted horrible. I think not having enough fuel caused me to hit the wall for the first time ever, more on that later. I got to the meeting area just in time. We headed out for the first 8. It was still dark. Yes, this night owl woke up extra early to run. What is happening to me!??

The sun is starting to come up!
After about 3 miles, we were coming up on a bathroom. I ran ahead, because I didn't utilize the facilities at QT before we left.  This was mistake #2. I got in there, it was a unisex bathroom that I had to lock the main door. Smelly and gross. What is it with men? Why are their bathrooms so much more nasty? If you can't aim, sit down! Rant over. Washed my hands, ran out the door.
My running buddies before I stopped for the bathroom break.

  I thought I finished really fast. Apparently not as fast as I thought. They were way ahead. I started trying to catch up. I struggled so much more than normal. I did catch up. I stayed at the back of the group though. At about mile 4, I took about 1/2 of my Vanilla Bean GU. So yummy. This is something I can use as fuel on my runs. I alternated G2 Gatorade and water. I also took some little salt packets with me. When we hit mile 5 I ate it to help with the swelling and chased it with some Gatorade. We crossed over the river and at about mile 6 1/2, I totally hit a giant brick wall. Figuratively, of course. I'm not that clumsy! I couldn't run anymore. I let the group leave me behind. At this point, I was sure that there was no way that I could run the 5k. I was thinking that if I could make it back to my car for the 8, I would stop there. I really didn't want a DNS (did not start) in my running history, but seriously I was dying. The group stopped at the bathroom. Yay! So I caught up! I got to catch my breath for a short period of time. Then we went to the cars and starting line for the race.  I made a quick stop at QT to get an energy bar. And headed to the crowds.
There was a costume contest. This is a couple of the dressed up characters.
Runner's World Tulsa puts on great runs! There were all kinds of people, and tents, things for the kids.  I went to the Southwest Dairy Farmers tent. They had a cow that they were showing the kids how to milk. They were right across from the music. They were handing out little cartons of Fat Free Chocolate Milk. I had one of those. Yum. I got to the starting line. I talked to a nice girl that could run the 5k in under 28 minutes. I told her to have fun and tried to get her to come to the training with Runner's World. (It's FREE!!) Then we were off! I was pretty smiley even though I was pretty tired. I knew I wouldn't PR, but I ran anyway. My goal was to at least average a 13 minute mile over all 11 miles, and not even worry about my 5k time this time.
Lots of Green!!!
Look at this awesome Mama!
Starting to thin out.
Spectators are wonderful motivation!


I got to the end to see my running group cheering me on! I know I finished somewhere in the 38-40 minute mark. More importantly, I met my goal with my average minute per mile at 12:45!! The final numbers:
mile 1 13:18
mile 2 12:24
mile 3 13:04
mile 4 11:40
mile 5 12:34
mile 6 12:29
mile 7 12:38
mile 8 13:43
mile 9 12:12
mile 10 13:17
mile 11 13:17
mile 12 13:35 



Total Miles 11.37 in 02:25:42
Average pace 12:49

I will end this by saying lots of lessons learned today. Proper nutrition, bathroom break before I even start, and I've learned that I need long bike shorts, and a new tech shirt, and body glide. Chaffing hurts!

After the race with some of my wonderful Running Group!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!!!