Saturday, February 4, 2012

A day for breaking records

I am going to warn you about this first paragraph. It may be TMI. But, I'm all about being real. So, I am going to tell you like it is. Last night we went to Golden Corral. Yes, and all you can eat buffet. I admit, in hindsight, not the best decision before an 8 mile run. Not only an 8 mile run, but my FIRST 8 mile run. I knew with my stomach issues, I had probably better get up and get things moving. I got up at 5:15am. I needed to make sure that my GI would have time to take care of things before I left. I went and got a 32 oz Dr. Pepper and a sausage roll. Sure to get things moving. I was not disappointed. I was able to go to the bathroom at home, and still drink some water before I left. I didn't even have any problems after I left home. I did go pee at the bathrooms where we started. In the dark, the lights didn't work.
My pic does not do this park justice, but remember I was trying to keep up with my group!

Ok, if you skipped that first paragraph, I don't blame you. Now onto the good stuff. Apparently I was a tad excited. I got there 45 min early. I was nervous, but totally psyched. Yes, I am showing my age. Finally it was time to go to the meeting area. It was cold. I wore a pair of leggings with a running skirt, and a tech shirt with my jacket. I was wishing at the start that I had my pants on instead of my skirt. Once we started moving that was no longer an issue. I started with the 12 min/mile group thinking that with 8 miles, I would probably fall back once we started going. After the first mile, I was thinking that would still happen. I was struggling. Not horribly, but was looking forward to every walk break. We started out on sidewalks, and I had to jump over some dog poop, a tomato, and the occasional pot hole. Then we move to a slightly less unkempt road. Once we hit 3 miles, I started to feel better. Not struggling as much. We hit mile 4 and a tiny pebble ended up in my shoe. Once we hit the water stop, I stopped and got it out. What can I say? I'm the princess with the pea. That was much better. At mile 5 I took one of my Clif gel blocks, it tasted good. A lot like a gummy bear. The only problem is that while running you have a limited amount of spit. I finally got it choked down, and only mildly worried about it making a reappearance. I followed it with the Gatorade G2 and some water. I ended up taking off my jacket. Soooo glad I wore the running skirt. I didn't even flash my butt, the skirt stayed put. Once we hit mile 6 I was feeling great! I think I finally know what a runner's high is. I've been waiting for it to show up! I was excited, and feeling awesome. Michelle and I even ended up at the front of the pace group. We even ran the last little bit just for fun. We ended up finishing our 8 miles in 1:38, with and average min/mile of 12:29. Again, totally psyched. I wasn't even that sore. I got in the car and drove home. Ahhhhh there was the soreness when I got out of the car.
My awesome new pants!!!!

It's been a full day. After that, I went home, and back to Tulsa. I went to check out the Runner's World Tulsa store, and their 50% off winter gear sale. Got an awesome new pair of pants. Then to a birthday party for one of my wonderful nephews. Back home I took a little nap, and made dinner. My teenagers and husband went to a Daddy/Daughter dance at church. I'm here with the babies, looking forward to their bed time. Then I am going to clean the house again. That's my life and I wouldn't ever change it!

My best friends tonight. My boot (to sleep in) and ibuprofen.


  1. Awesome post! I think Saturday was a great day for running in Tulsa, considering I've only read great things about the run Saturday! Oh... and if you thought you were sore after driving home... I had to drive to OKC. I still don't know how I got out of the truck without a crane. LOL!

  2. I know what you mean! We drove to okc last week!! I hope our next really long run goes just as smooth!!


I love comments!!!