Sunday, June 12, 2011

June Bug Jog recap

Yesterday morning, I woke up at 6. Then I got dressed and drank a Green Banana Mango smoothie and ate a Tbs of natural PB, Drank a glass of water. Had to get the baby fed, and changed, and got Amos something to eat. Kinda nervous at this point, but excited too. I drove to Claremore Lake, where the race was being held. More nervous, but already paid so gotta do it. I got my chip and attached it to my shoes. Official runner here!!! I met my friend Nellie there, she just completed the C25k training with Fleet Feet. This was their graduation race. We got started about midpack. I ended up running by myself for a bit. It was kinda sad, but I was using the racewalkers as a challenge. Those girls were booking it! The course was a little more hilly than I am used to. Luckily though, the sun was shining and there was a nice gentle, cool breeze coming off the lake. There is quite a bit of shade on this route in the morning. I got to the water station-bless those volunteers! I can't run and drink at the same time, so I stopped and walked (I also didn't want to pass the trash can :).  I got to the point in the road marked 2k, and in my running brain I was thinking 2mi. I thought I was almost there! No. Wrong. A few more hills, Nellie caught up to me after stopping for a bathroom break. Hit the midpoint and turned around. Started to feel the Green Smoothie try to make a reappearance, but managed to hold it down. Next time I've got to eat earlier! There was a little less shade on the way back. Nellie passed me, but I told her to wait for me at the finish line. I walked a bit. Started getting some chills, which was weird. So I walked more than I felt like I needed to, but it would have been too embarrassing to keel over in a 5k from heatstroke or heart attack. I walked and jogged with an older man who had my philosophy on hills. We walked up them and jogged down them! I started getting more chills, so I told him to go ahead. I wanted to at least jog over the finish line! I did too! I even RAN over the finish line. I wouldn't say sprinted, but an actual full on run, picking my feet way up and everything! I finished in 42:03. I was the 17th woman. The overall winner finished in 19 min. WOW! That's fast! I had a great time, and now can't wait to sign up for the next one and continue training. Now, Let's see if I can beat that time! ;)I'm number 108!


After running the race, I came home and got the fam ready to go to the lake. We went to Wagoner (OK is full of lakes!) My MIL has a trailer by the lake for weekends and summers. We got to go out on their boat. Eric got to drive the boat which I am thankful for. His stepdad isn't the best boater. Kinda scary to someone who grew up on boats! We went swimming. After a little bit of hyperventilating I got used to the idea of swimming in water that you couldn't see your feet, and fish swimming in said water. I know it isn't logical, but I am scared of fish. Crazy, but what are you going to do. I figured as long as I was treading water, I would be ok, and that would scare the fish away. Even Amos got in. I didn't think he would, but he enjoyed it! As long as I was holding him. He hates his life jacket. I didn't wear one so I got a pretty good workout there too. I also got a sunburn even though I wore  sunscreen AND reapplied every hour! It was worth it though. My legs are sore today!!!


  1. Congrats! Great job!!!! Be careful... the races are addictive. :)

  2. That's no joke! I'm already looking forward to one in July!!!


I love comments!!!