Saturday, September 26, 2015

Would you like to know more about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?



I know, it's a long church name. We can say LDS for short. Usually we as members, like to say the name of the church because there is so much misinformation. Yes, we do believe that Christ is our savior and that you can only get to the Father through him. Yes we believe in the Bible. We do also believe that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. If you have any honest questions, I will do my best to answer them.
Here is a link to the Book of Mormon online;Book of Mormon. If you have never read the BoM, and are curious, I'd start at the very beginning. The title page, introduction, and testimony of the witnesses are eye opening, in my opinion. 

I am a convert to the church. I am currently going to college at BYU-Idaho online. This first semester I do have a religion studies class. We are studying the Book of Mormon (BoM). This lesson was on Nephi chapters 1-5. It starts out with Lehi and Sariah and their family. Laman, Lemuel, Nephi, and Sam are all the brothers. They all live in Jerusalem, but the Lord warns Lehi to take his family and flee. He has been prophesying that the people need to repent of their iniquities, and they are going to try and kill him. They leave for the wilderness. They don't really know where the Lord is leading them.


Laman and Lemuel, even though they are the oldest of the brothers, complain constantly. They are mad that they had to leave the comfort of their home and also leave all of their riches behind. Nephi is like the golden child. He does what needs to be done, and honors his father. However he did have a moment in 1 Nephi 2:16. It says "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless bbeing large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers." He didn't just believe his father in blind faith, he asked Heavenly Father for a knowledge of his own.  In James 1:5 it says "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." That is what we all are asked to do. We are told to ask for wisdom in all things. Before I was baptized, I prayed to know if the Book of Mormon was the word of God. If I didn't believe it, I wouldn't have become a member of the LDS church. I pray when we are given guidance from our Prophet and apostles.

So Nephi has asked and recieved a knowledge that his father is following the Lord. Lehi tells his sons to go back to Jerusalem. Remember this is a 3 day journey one way. All to go to Laban, the wicked man, to get the brass plates which has a record of the genealogy of their family. So they do go back and get them. They go against insurmountable odds, large trials, and succeed. Nephi says to Lehi when he is told they have to do this, "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them. " 

While I was studying this lesson, I realized how much I am like Laman and Lemuel. I like my comforts, I like things to go the easy way. How often do we murmur and complain when the Lord asks us to do something we don't really want to do? I know for myself it is very often. Every time I am prompted to bear my testimony at a meeting, I fight it. I give every excuse. When I don't follow that prompting I feel horrible. Like I let down my Heavenly Father. I want to be more like Nephi, and less like Laman and Lemuel. Nobody is all bad or all good, but I want to tip the scales more on the good side. I wish I could be perfect now, but I take comfort in knowing that I will be perfected in the Lord one day.

The tongue of angels, talk by Elder Jeffery R. Holland- This is a very good talk. If you are having a hard time, feeling down and like you are complaining too much this is good to listen to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!!!